Saturday 14 July 2012

My sonny's ABC


My sonny’s ABC





Our life changes completely when our little bundle of joy steps into
our world. Soon we realise, growing up a baby is a Herculean task and
not a cakewalk. With each passing day, the job becomes more tiring and
you are always on your toes.
Making my toddler follow simple instructions is a brain-racking job
for me. When I teach him A, he says Eeee… for B, he says Geeee and C
is sh…sh… for him. Ish…sh... is very funny for him, it sounds like he
is copying Aishwarya Rai from Devdas. Ask him to say ‘mamma’ and he
says ‘papa’; he remembers mamma only when he is hungry or when he is
hurt.
Sonny is busy exploring the entire house and always after brittle
things; and when he breaks one it is a real feat for him.
Switchboards, computer, television, refrigerator, cell phones and all
types of electrical items are his favourite games as if he is a born
engineer. On the contrary, he is scared of the pressure cooker’s
whistle and starts screaming the moment the mixer-grinder or the
vacuum cleaner is on.
Yellow yellow dirty fellow… will probably be his favourite line when,
or, if he learns one. Once while changing his diaper I smelt something
was burning in my kitchen. When I returned, he was literally yellow
with what one can guess easily.  Whenever he goes missing, I always
find him in the balcony with his hands black with dust and sometimes
totally drenched in the bathroom.
Feeding my tot solid food is another story. Bed sheets, cushion
covers, curtains, carpets, door mats and anything and everything at
hand seem to be sharing food with him. Throwing out after his meal at
least once a day is customary for him. Stomach infection is like his
second nature.
Another thing which drives me crazy is his sleep pattern. Sometimes he
wakes up at 3 a.m. and starts playing. He never sleeps when you want
him to sleep. He loves sleeping when mamma is busy and wakes up when
mamma wants to take a nap for herself.
He does creative things on his own terms. Ask him to build blocks and
he will hide them in corners best known to him. Make him scrabble with
crayons, he will throw them one by one outside the window. He turns
imaginative when mamma sits to key down something in the computer,
busy pulling the keyboard and when he is prevented from doing so, he
simply pulls the plug – doesn’t matter if mamma has to start from
scratch.
When grandma calls up to hear something from him, he acts so quiet as
if he is the best baby in the world; otherwise the house is booming
the whole day with his screams. At the end of the day I feel I have to
discover new alphabets to teach him something or may be,
alternatively, I have to start learning his ABCs.

No comments:

Post a Comment