Saturday 14 July 2012

Interview with Biju Phukan in Mumbai, Published in North East Sun, Delhi


Interview with Biju Phukan in Mumbai, Published in North East Sun, Delhi

People's love is my greatest achievement: Biju Phukan



Biju Phukan reigned over the hearts of the Assamese in the '70s and '80s and is still young at heart. Now in Mumbai he wants to do something equally worthwhile so that people all over India recognise him.


Biju Phukan still laughs when he remembers his foray into films. When he was a pre-university student, eminent Assamese director Brajen Baruah offered him a role in the film Dr Bezbaruah. Biju was elated and went on advertising that he had bagged a big project. "But when the film was released I appeared only in a song sequence and became the laughing stock," he says with a smile. But luck was always with him and after some days he got a major break in Nip Baruah's Baruar Sansar. That was the turning point of his life and he never looked back.

The veteran actor, whose smile floored many ladies in the '70s and '80s, still remembers his first shot in front of the camera, "I was very nervous. But when I finished the shot, everybody clapped. Even today when I go to a new film unit, the first shot still makes me nervous."
This was followed by Aranya, which won a National Award. Some of his other films include Lalita, Banariya Phool, Upoja Sonor Mati, Anutap, Rashmirekha, Maa, Mamata, Ganesh, Dharmakai, Abhimaan, Bahagar Dupariya, Antony Mur Naam, Bowari, Ghar Sansar, Brishti, Natun Aasha, Aajali Nobou, Achanta Prahar, Meghmukti, Rajanigandha, Bisesh Erati, Pahari Kanya, Pita Putra, Man Mandir, I killed him Sir, Aie Morom Tumar Babe , et al. As a child, Biju had acted in many plays when he was in Dibrugarh.
Biju had also the opportunity to work in parallel films like National Award-winning Agnishnan directed by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia. Even the film Brishti directed by Deuti Baruah was much ahead of its times. Others include Aparoopa and Papori directed by Jahnu Baruah.
After a long sabbatical from films, Biju started his second innings and acted in author-backed roles that require huge emotion and histrionics to display like Agnisakshi, Priya Milan, Chinaki Achinaki, Barood, etc. His last Assamese movie was Deuta Muk Bidai Diya.
Ask him about his favourite films and he says: "I enjoyed working in all of them. But if I have to name a few I would say Agnishnan, Bowari, Ghar Sansar, Pita Putra, Aajali Nobou, etc. In my whole career I had given only two flops. Even the songs of my films were huge hits, especially those by Jayanta Hazarika."
Biju had a short stint in Bengali films too. "I acted in Aparajita, Hotel Snowfalls and some others. But somehow my luck didn't click in Bengali films. But I am still in touch with my Bengal friends. Bengal is second home for me."
Who are his favourite directors and co-stars? "Bhaben Saikia, Jahnu Barua, Munin Baruah. I would not name any of my co-stars because if I name some the others will be unhappy."
The superstar of Assamese films also got behind the camera and his first directorial venture was Bhai Bhai . His television serial Deuta written by Dr Bhabendra Nath Saikia also became very popular.
What's the secret behind the unbeaten innings? Biju thinks that it's God's blessings that he never had to ask for roles for himself, but the offers came to him. "I never asked for roles. I still can't do it. I wish I could do it. But now I am open to good character-based roles and offers are pouring in."
This romantic reel hero had a love marriage in real life too. "The year was 1977. I had gone to Bishwanath Chariali for Upapath. In between shooting, I had to rush to Tezpur for a wedding reception. I came across a girl there. We were introduced and I asked her if she can sing and she sang Na jane kiu hota hai yeh zindegi ke saath… and I loved it. And slowly we began exchanging love letters. Within six months we got married. That was December 6, 1977."
Biju remembers one incident when he went to offer prayers to Sibsagar Shiv temple with his newly married wife Rajashri. "A huge crowd surrounded me and my unit members had to pull me out from the crowd. There were a lot of school students among them. Two girls were suspended. Later, I had to go to their school and request the authorities to take them back."
He loves watching Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan's movies and adores directors like Hrishikesh Mukherjee, Shakti Samant, Mani Ratnam, Madhur Bhandarkar, Ram Gopal Varma,
What about Bollywood? Why didn't he try his luck out here? "You know my role in Ananda Ashram was almost final but somehow it didn't happen. Besides, I was so busy in Assamese films, that I remained confined there. I didn't even get time to think to come to Mumbai and try. But I don't regret. Now I will do something in Mumbai but behind the camera. In fact I am working on two projects, but nothing is finalised yet."
Biju is not too happy about the current state of Assamese films. "The amount of real talent is still missing. The variety of subjects in Hindi and Bengali films are so thought provoking. But our Assamese films are moving around the same theory. When I hear titles like Suren Choror Putek and Junda Iman Gunda I don't feel like watching those films. I feel North-East people should come out to learn more. "
Ask him about his children Anshuman and Sanghamitra and he says, "My children feel their father is not old and still can do a lot, especially in direction. My son and wife help me in TV production work. I am happy that my daughter is interested in acting."
So, what is his greatest achievement to date? "Once I was travelling in the interiors of Sibsagar for shooting. People stood along the tracks during the whole journey, showering me with flowers and gamochas, as the train moved slowly. Even today, when I go to any place in Assam, people recognise me. It is this love that I think is my greatest achievement. But I feel that is not enough I need to do something so that people all over India recognise me."

Follow my blog: Mixed Bag

No comments:

Post a Comment