Saturday 14 July 2012

Interview with #JahnuBarua







‘There is little demand for good movies’




Winner of nine national awards and innumerable international awards — he is Jahnu Barua, the master filmmaker. In a tête-à-tête with North East Sun, the master director talks about his latest film, his future plans and the state of Indian cinema today.



Aparoopa, Hkhagoroloi Bohu Door, Pokhi, Konikar Ramdhenuhe, Papori, Halodiya Choraye Baodhan Khaye, Banani, Firingoti, Kuhkhal and now Maine Gandhi Ko Nahi Mara, Jahnu Barua has done it again. The noted film-maker has once again created another memorable film which deals with the fading ideology of the Father of the Nation. This is his first Hindi film and has earned him accolades worldwide. Sit to see any of his films and you won’t be able to get up without finishing it.


North East Sun: Your film Maine Gandhi Ko Nahi Mara won a lot of critical acclaim. But commercially did it live up to your expectation?
Jahnu Barua: Yes, the response was good. Not only in India but all over the world. We did not expect that much response though we knew that it deserved so.

NES: Do you think the audience perspective has changed today. Are they mature enough to appreciate such films?
JB: Today Indians are a spoilt audience. They have become used to the same kind of senseless films. It’s obvious they won’t like such (artistic) movies. They do not have any responsibility and so there is no demand for good movies.

NES: How did the idea of Maine Gandhi… come to your mind?
JB: As a part of the society I have a responsibility. As a filmmaker I keep on thinking in what way I can contribute. The idea came to my mind 10 years ago. Being from the North-East I have seen a lot of bloodshed and unnecessary problems engulfing the entire region. I saw the trauma and pain of the common people. I realised that the bigger part of the problem is unnecessary and is the result of not attending to them at the initial stage. I saw the solution in the Gandhian ideology of self-reliance and non-violence. The film is to promote the Gandhian way.  I was cooking for a story when I met an Alzheimer’s patient. Thus I thought of combining both and convey the message to the people.       

NES: What is the difference in making an Assamese film and a Hindi film?
JB: The attitude and approach are same. Keeping the audience in mind, Hindi films are made at a faster pace. In the Hindi film industry, there is a difference in the working conditions. Things are much more organised and more professional.

NES: Why didn’t you make Hindi films earlier?
JB: I got offers to make Hindi films earlier also. I was reluctant because of two things. Firstly, to make a Hindi film I have to adapt a larger perspective and detach myself from a rooted culture. Secondly, I was little hesitant because of my ethos. I felt lot of things can be done through the medium of cinema and wanted to contribute something to the Assamese society. Then the things became limited and I felt exhausted and felt there is not much more to give. And I decided to make a Hindi film.

NES: So you won’t be making Assamese movies any more?
JB: No it’s not that. I might be making who knows.     

NES: Ever thought of making a commercial film?
JB: That way I don’t have any kind of reservation. My films are different from the usual stuff. I don’t want senseless things, there must be some kind of meaning, a message. It should be focused. I think item numbers make no sense. Today a lot of things are done to attract audience. I can’t do all those things.    

NES: At one point of time Assamese films were winning national awards every year but now it has come down, why?
JB: The Assamese film industry is very small and today the audience is different. Film makers can make good films but they are reluctant as they cannot survive with such films.

NES: What do you think about the commercial Assamese films which are blindly copying Bollywood?
JB: Copying is never healthy. It has no creativity but it is happening everywhere. 

NES: How do you work on an idea, how do you streamline things?
JB: Something has to strike me first. I keep on thinking what should I make next. That thinking initiates me to think what society needs from me today. I try to choose a subject first. Then I think about the issues and what matters. Then I try to design it, present it and mix it with a story. Last comes the cast selection.

NES: Your films are generally based on social issues. Ever thought of making a historical film like Lachit Borphukan or the Battle of Saraighat? 
JB: Yes, I would like to make one period film. But there are a lot of limitations. The whole process would be very expensive and I wouldn’t want to make it in a superfluous way. And in the Assamese film industry, it’s impossible.

NES: What are your other projects in the pipeline?
JB: My next film Butterfly Chase is already shot. It will be released early next year. It is an anti-terrorism film with Kashmir as background. It’s not about terrorists but how terrorism is making a negative impact on the society. Featuring Yashpal Sharma, Gauri Karnik, Diwakar Pundir and Niyo, a five-year-old girl, most of the cast is new. Next, I will discover the lighter side and try to make a comedy.

NES: Which is your favourite project?
JB: It’s like asking a mother which child is your favourite. All my films are very close to my heart. Frankly speaking I don’t look back. While making a film I give my hundred per cent. I made my first film in 1982, if I look back now it would be unwise as I will find lot of flaws. In today’s perspective I won’t be able to do justice if I sit to judge which one is best.

NES: Tell some of your first experiences in film making?
JB: (Smiles) There are many but I will tell you one. After I passed out from Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), I thought of trying my hand in production and I joined as a production manager in Children’s Film Society. Sai Paranjpe was making a film, Jadu Ka Shank. I was suddenly told that a donkey was needed for the film. I roamed all around for a donkey and at last found one the next day. I won’t tell you how. It was a nightmare for me.

NES: You had to wait to make your film Maine Gandhi… because of financial problems. Lots of such scripts don’t make it because of financial problems.
JB: This is a very unfortunate situation. There are good subjects but film makers are not able to go ahead because of lack of finance and support. I don’t blame commercial films for that. There has to be some organisation supported by the people and the government. The people are equally responsible to make a good film possible. Demand should be created for good films. The audience in the west go to gain from cinema and hence they create the demand. But here, they just go to entertain themselves. Here we don’t have a market for good films and thus no funding.

NES: Your film Tora was premiered in the US. How was the reaction?
JB: The response was very good. I still receive e-mails and phone calls from them.

NES: Tora bagged the national award. When you make a children’s film what do you keep in mind?
JB:  There are two ways. We make films for children and about children. In India, the trend is to make for children but the later is more important. I have made only Tora for children. There is a lack in understanding among the adults and they need to know that.

NES: Some of your favourite films?
JB: There are many good films. Akira Kurosawa’s Rashomon, Satyajit Ray’s Pather Panchali and Ritwik Ghatak’s Meghe Dhaka Tara are some of them.

NES: What is the state of Indian movies today?
JB:  The graph is going absolutely down. It’s a pathetic condition. India produces the largest number of films in the world but there is no quality. The people in the fraternity should try to find out what is wrong.

NES: Besides film making, any other future plans?
JB: (Laughs) Half of my life is gone now, what will I plan? Okay, I would like to make a film to make people believe a world where there is no war, no quarrel, no battle and no hatred. But that is, of course, not possible.

NES: What is the key to success?
JB:  I believe in five Ds — decision, discipline, devotion, dedication and determination. I also believe in two Cs — courage and character. If you are equipped with all these qualities there is no reason why you won’t gain success. Success is not only winning, you also gain from defeat. Like Hemingways’ Old man and The Sea; he never catches a fish but yet he is successful.

NES: How is Mumbai different from Guwahati?
JB: It’s like having a tail. In Guwahati, people don’t even feel they have a tail and they relax. But in Mumbai, people notice the fur in the tail and try to take it out.

NES: Tell something about your childhood.
JB: I was born in a rural area in Lakuwa Tea Estate and brought up in Bokota. From my childhood, I used to cherish and had a fascination for any kind of movement. I loved following the movement. There was a Diroi river in our village and I came to know it joins the Disang river. I was just seven years old then. I walked with my cousin about ten miles to see the Disang river. Then I heard this river joins the Brahmaputra. I bunked classes, took a bus and saw the mighty river in Dibrugarh. It was a wonderful experience. Then my aim was to see a sea and I did it. It’s a journey till today.   

NES: Who was your inspiration?
JB: At different stages there were different people. First my parents and now my wife Gayetri and eight-year-old son Oju.

NES: Your memorable moment in life.
JB: (laughs) In Mumbai, I was traveling by local train around midnight and I was very tired after work. Two people sitting opposite thought me as a Gorkha watchman. They started asking me how much salary I get and how long I could sleep. I said I get Rs 300 and three hours of sleep a day. They started discussing how people are exploited. Then they tried to tempt me to work in their building with a salary of Rs 500 and six hours of sleep. I said yes to please them and they were very happy.

NES: What is the meaning of your name?
JB: In Hindu mythology there was a saint named Jahnu. At one time, the world was full of evils and Ganga stopped flowing. The sage drank the whole of Ganga and cut his thigh for the Ganga to flow. Thigh also means Jahnu. 

NES: Your hobbies.
JB: I like to think, to imagine, play chess sometimes and of course read a lot.

NES: Your favourite dish.
JB: I love green vegetables in whatever way you serve it. But there should be no butter, no oil, no ghee and no spice.

NES: You have achieved a lot, won many awards. Do you have any unfulfilled dream?
JB: See, I have a creative mind. I am never satisfied. Dreams are many but time is very short. Sometimes I feel there should be 100 hours in a day. I feel behind schedule. Awards don’t give any happiness only a bit of inspiration. But awards are necessary and important. Like when I received my first international award and created history, I made my people feel proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment