Saturday 14 July 2012

Interview with model #DipannitaSharma, Mumbai




Interview with  Dipannita Sharma




 
Dipannita Sharma is one of the very few from the North-East who made it big in the fashion world. She has proved that region does not matter when there is will and determination.


Modelling, advertising, films, television and play, Dipannita has done it all. But which one did she enjoy the most? "Can't choose one. I have enjoyed them all. They are all media-related extensions of each other and relate to the audience," she says.
Many models have switched over to cinema. Will Dipannita do the same? "This is not happening. I am still very much active in modelling. Doing films was not at all my conscious decision. It just happened. But I am open to good offers," she says.
Dipannita's first big experience with play was with dancing queen of yesteryears Helen. 'Plane Crazy About Love' was the title of the play -- a romantic comedy. "I have never done comedy before. It was great fun. Working with Helen auntie was a wonderful experience."
But then play is not a new medium for her. When Dipannita was a child, she had done Assamese and English plays scripted written by her mother and grandmother. She feels the biggest difference between films and play is, "You have to face a live audience. There are no retakes. If you do a mistake you have to cover it up right on the stage, there is no other second way."
It all started over seven years ago when Dipannita had won a couple of prizes in inter-college fashion shows while she was in her final year in Indraprastha College, Delhi, doing her History honours. In one of the shows, she won the Best Female Model title along with a free portfolio and a shoot with Cosmopolitan magazine.
In 1998, she participated in the Femina Miss India contest and was among the final five. She was adjudged Miss Photogenic, one of her memorable moments, and there was no looking back. In 1999 she shifted to Mumbai.
How difficult was it in Mumbai? "I did not face much difficulty as I already knew some people in the fashion world like Hemant Trivedi," says Dipannita.
Dipannita has stayed in Duliajan and Guwahati. Her parents are from Tezpur and Jorhat. Being an Assamese girl, is she interested in Assamese films? "I would really love to do Assamese films. It would be great to work with directors like Jahnu Barua. But frankly, there are no such offers till now," she says.
Dipannita feels the North-East has come a long way in the fashion arena but has long way to go. She names Moni Konkana Dutta and Aryan Biju Barua, who are doing very well. "In 2004, I went to Guwahati for the Khadi National Event. I saw some beautiful stuff made of Assamese silk. People interested should come forward and participate in national events."
She laments the fact that parents back in the North-East are still not ready to let their children opt for other professions. "Parents should understand that medical and engineering are not the end of professions. I was lucky as my parents were very supportive." Her father Dr RC Sharma is a doctor with IOC and her mother Krishna Sharma is a teacher. Her sister Arunima is a qualified nutritionist. She has done plays and a small role in Remix. She is also shooting for a Balaji serial Kasam Se, which will be aired very soon.
How often does Dipannita visit her home state? "Whenever my mom and dad are not here. I visited last April and planning to go again soon." How different is Assam from Mumbai? "Assam is home for me and it will always be. I go there to relax. It is very laidback place. It is not fast like Mumbai."
The next moment Dipannita gets emotional: "I hope my motherland becomes peaceful like before. That is the only thing that makes me sad about Assam."
Dipannita has lot to say to upcoming models. "First they should make a good portfolio by a professional photographer. They should join a national level contest to get noticed. There are so many nowadays like Gladrags, Ford Supermodel, Femina, et al. They should be conscious about their style and know how to present themselves well."
Surprisingly, Dipannita says she was not at all style conscious. "My hair wasn't styled. I used to wear a loose jeans and a loose T-shirt. So there was a huge transformation when I was on the ramp. I still wonder how I got the first modelling assignment. But today there is so much awareness."
Ask her about any goof-ups on the ramp and she laughs, "There are many. Sometimes my dupatta got stuck, shoes came off, heels got broken. Once the zip of my dress came off."
Dipannita has wrapped up her TV show Har Dil Jo Love Karega. She has also worked in a TV serial Life Nahi Hai Ladoo. She has acted in 16 December, Dil Vil Pyar Vyar, My Brother Nikhil, 99.9 FM, Asambhav and more recently Koi Aap Sa. What are her future plans? "I don't plan anything actually. I am still open to good film offers. I am actively doing fashion shows. My next move will be compering live shows," she says.
Her hobbies are reading, watching films, listening to music, chatting with friends. "I am also a big Hindi movie buff." She has learnt Hindustani classical music and dance too. "I can watch TV the whole day when I am free," says Dipannita. She loves to wear Bohemian style skirts and tops. Her favourite dish is rice and fish curry like a typical Assamese.  
Dipannita maintains a perfect figure. But what is the secret behind it? "This is the last question you should ask me. I don't work out at all. But I am motivating myself to exercise, as it is healthy. I take care of my skin and hair. I don't like spicy food. I normally eat everything."
Ask her about her success mantra and she says, "There is no key actually. Hard work, destiny, faith in God and support from the people you love."
Dipannita has achieved a lot but does she have any unfulfilled dreams. She laughs, "Human beings are very greedy. They are never satisfied. I have a dream to go to Greece and travel all those places I have not seen."
Dipannita was a quiet child unlike her sister Arunima. "My mother used to tell me anybody could easily take me for a ride. I have become little smarter than those days," she says with a smile.
She studied in Holy Child School, Guwahati and Central School Duliajan. She misses the celebrations, festivals, sports meet and the rehearsals. She participated in solo song and chorus, solo and group dances, skits. "It was a big deal to win a prize then."
Who is her inspiration? "I am inspired by those people who overcome their physical or mental disability and shine in life."
Any marriage plans? "You never get what you want. It's like little give and take. It's needing and wanting to be with each other. God has his own plans and when it happens I will happily accept it."

Follow my blog: Mixed Bag 



1 comment:

  1. nice interview besides i need the guy called Biju Aryan Baruah who is a gud friend of mine if u won't mind you can send his mail id to me thank you
    gautam sarmah alias nicholas
    olagautam@gmail.com
    (once gym mate)

    ReplyDelete