Monday 17 May 2021

I am not mad, why would I visit a counsellor?

Why is mental health important?

People in India still openly don’t say that they visit a counsellor. They don’t understand that if it’s important to visit a doctor when someone has a physical problem, it is the same with the mind. Mental health is equally important. 

I had a nature of counselling people when they felt low and loved to bring a smile on people’s faces. Naturally, I had the knack of reading articles on parenting and other counselling topics. While working for a newspaper, I decided to do a course on counselling. I used to attend classes on weekends and later interned in a hospital set-up in my 30s with very young girls.

When my family and friends came to know about it, they would confide in me with their problems as they felt comfortable talking to me. They would compliment me often after I counselled them. So one day, I decided to give an ad in a local newspaper and started counselling people on weekends as on other days, I had the journalism job.

I started getting calls. But often, the queries were strange, “What type of counselling do you do?”  “From where have you done the course?” “What procedure you follow?” “What is counselling?” “What does a counsellor actually do?” “Can you counsel me on phone?”

Once a lady even requested me that she would send me the fees but I should counsel her on the phone. Though I tried to convince her that face-to-face counselling is always better but she insisted. So I agreed to counsel her over the phone. But she didn’t turn up nor did she call. That’s the problem. Sometimes people make up their mind to talk to a counsellor and then they take a step back.



One of my relatives from a different city often used to call me as she felt better talking to me, sometimes for hours. I advised that she should visit a local counsellor as I knew she was lonely and had some past issues. She replied, “I am not mad, why I would visit a counsellor?”

I still smile remembering a man who addressed me doctor while fixing the appointment and throughout the session though I kept on telling him that “I am a counsellor”.

One day, a young girl came to me. She felt so good talking to me that after reaching downstairs, her father (who came to pick her up) called me to say that she wanted to talk more. I advised them to come after seven days as talking again the same day wouldn’t have helped much. They never returned. 

Once a housewife came to me for counselling, and after her session I advised her to bring her husband in her next session. Sometimes family counselling is important to better heal the person. But she said, “No, that’s not possible.” Instead she asked me if I could teach her to speak English. I said yes so that at least she should turn up for the next session, at least to learn English. But she never came. I even called her as I really wanted to bring her confidence back. But she never responded.  


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwTZirredJupZZs65UfnmJg/videos

Child counselling is difficult as they don’t open up so easily. I remember once a mother coming to me with her son, who was around 12 years old. The mother requested that she would be present during the session. Though I wanted to talk to the child alone, sometimes mothers won’t understand, and they feel insecure too to leave the child alone. The moment the child started confiding in me, the mother started interfering in between and gave her own advice. One of the questions I asked the child was, “Do you somehow feel your mom loves your younger sister a little more than you?” The child just moved his head in affirmation. His mother immediately asked, “Don’t I love you?” The child became quiet again. That session was of not much help because of the mother. I requested her to bring the child after seven days and said I would talk to the child alone for some time. But they never turned up.

Some came with genuine problems. And returned for multiple sessions, and felt better too. In some cases, when I felt that only counselling won’t help, I would refer them to psychiatrists as they would need medicines to heal.

The problem was that one fine day they felt, ‘okay let’s visit a counsellor and meet her for a day and everything would be fine’. It was difficult to make them understand that day one was only history-taking and introductory session. Most of them didn’t turn up for the next session.

In an hour-long session, they would continue talking even after the time limit. Then I started putting an alarm to make them aware that the day’s session was over. But that would rarely help. Often my one hour’s session would extend to one-and-half hours.

Fee was another issue. I started with Rs 300 for an hour-long session (that was long time back). One day, an old lady came with her son who was addicted to some medicine and was drowsy throughout the session. That lady requested me to take Rs 200 and I obliged. I advised her that her son would need hospitalisation to heal completely. I suggested a few names where she can call and admit her son. But she never called me to inform about the developments of her son.

A young boy came to me for counselling and forgot to bring his wallet. And he remembered that after the session was over. I never asked for my fee before the sessions. That day, I felt like laughing at myself. One of my friends knew his mother and so she transferred my fee online. I still don’t ask for fee before the session, lesson not learnt.

What did I learn as a counsellor? I became a good listener, I became empathetic, I don’t judge people and I became more forgiving. 

People in India still openly don’t say that they visit a counsellor. They don’t understand that if it’s important to visit a doctor when someone has a physical problem, it is the same with the mind. Mental health is equally important.

Mental health and physical health are connected. Mental health plays an important role in maintaining good physical health. Often, mental issues such as depression and anxiety, affect people's capacity to maintain health-promoting behaviours.

When mental illness is left untreated, it can cause major emotional, behavioural and physical health issues. Sometimes they lead to unhappiness and decreased enjoyment of life and even family conflicts.

Now with the pandemic taking the world in its grip, mental health is a big concern with people mostly indoors. With everything going digital, even counselling sessions are being taken online. The need is only for people to understand that if they feel something is bothering their minds all the time, they should not shy away from talking to a counsellor.

Follow me on 

My Facebook Page: Think Positive: Make a Difference In Life  

Subscribe 

My YouTube Channel: Think Positive: Make a Difference in Life 


Follow my blog: Mixed Bag 

 






 

1 comment: